Share Button

Monday, November 12, 2012

Review - Dead of Eve by Pam Godwin


To say I was shocked by this book is an understatement. I followed Pam Godwin on twitter because I saw she was a fellow writer. And it just so happened her book was coming out. How could I not read it?

I was unprepared for how good it was.

At her worst moments in the book, Godwin writes with the detail and energy of Richard Laymon. In her best moments she is something more than that: original, vibrant and completely engrossing. This is not another Buffy Summers clone. Eve is a fresh and, like every one else in the book, I fell in love with her.

Synposis:
It's the end of the world as we know it. Because I bought this book blind, not even reading the description, I expected zombies. Instead we have something much more fun and original: human-aphid hybrids created through and act of biological warfare. Our protagonist is a woman named Eve who had the good sense to marry a man who taught her to fight, to shoot guns and throw knives. (For the record, this sounds exactly like my father). She is the perfect person to survive the apocalypse...except she has been emotionally crushed. At the beginning of the book she has suffered a loss that could destroy anyone. Yet, as the story progresses, she quickly overcomes her emotional trauma to become an amazing strong character.

Let me back up for a second. I'm not a fan of Superman-like characters. You know the ones I mean, the nearly invincible ones without any character flaws. That is not Eve. Her strength is completely believable and she has some serious flaws. She also shows incredible vulnerability which makes her moments of strength all the more rewarding.

A word of warning, this is an adult book. There is sex. A lot of sex. Maybe even too much sex (which I don't think a man has ever said before). There is also incredibly realistic violence which never strays into the gratuitous. So think twice before letting your kids read it.

Conclusion:
Do yourself a favor. Stop what you are doing and buy this book. Read it. Do it now. I am very much looking forward to the sequel.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon: Dead of Eve

Here is a link to Pam Godwin's blog: PamGodwin.com
Pam Godwin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Button